Monday, March 24, 2008

Welcome to Longstreth's Limericks!

Tonight, for some reason, I decided to look up the Limerick Wikipedia article. All of a sudden I was OBSESSED with the idea of writing Limericks. I love me some good word play, and this seems like a fun way to mess around with words. It's like a little game! And the form is just short enough that I can create one in my head without too much effort. Here is my first Limerick, which Gabe helped me with a bit:
I'm entering a new phase of life,
That may cause you readers some strife:
It's limericks I'll write!
Each day and all night,
With puns and bad meter they'll be rife...

And then here was Gabe's response:
A good limerick can be quite clever.
To write one is Alec's endeavor.
If you ask me to guess,
If he'll be a success,
I'll earnestly tell you, "not ever."

So I think this is going to be a new hobby for me... My goal is to write several hundred horrible limericks, for fun, and maybe in the process one or two good ones will pop out, which perhaps I can illustrate and turn into a zine or minicomic or something. Feel free to post your own response Limericks in the comments!

2 comments:

Marek Bennett said...

Oh God, not another new blog,
They cloud up the air like a fog!
But if you would write poems
we can read in our homes,
Then you might as well maintain a log!

Alec Longstreth said...

Marek, that's like your THIRD limerick in one night! You are on fire!!! :)